Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Dear, But Reluctant, Historic Toddler  (Read 897 times)
BethT
Veteran Scribbler

« on: May 10, 2014, 07:43:44 PM »

So, long story.  I don't have any kids, but I am currently sorta kinda stuck at my sister's house (she lives ten minutes from me) for a few weeks.  My younger sister Anna and I were taking turns staying with Lauren, her husband Ben, Ben's ill grandmother their utterly adorable little girl, (*cough* doting aunt *cough*) Abigail when my family came down with norovirus while it was my turn at Lauren and Ben's.

So I am here without most of my sewing supplies and a surfeit of time on my hands for a lot of the day every day.  Lauren and Ben don't really need THAT much help, and so I've decided to try to kit us out to go to Greenfield Village for Memorial day. 

I'm stuck on Ben's Paletote (I think he is the bestest brother-in-law in the world...he's willing to dress up in all the funny clothes with Lauren and me and squire us around) so I have started up on Abigail's little things in the meantime. 

I also have not my usual camera, and while my phone has a very nice (for a phone) camera it is still a phone.

She didn't really want to try anything on.  She is only a bit over a year, so I thought I was doing pretty good to get her to stand still enough to pin this thing closed.  Only at the waist and neckline, which is where I'm planning two buttons.

I'm very happy with the loft.  Doesn't take much on a diminutive 15 month old.  I know that the pettichemise is over saturating the market, but I have very little time, and this is my make do.

I was feeling smug about getting everything I wanted out of one yard of 36" fabric, when I discovered that even piecing the scraps wouldn't be nearly enough for a waistband which I'd forgotten...Lauren had some quilting fabric in the basement that I used instead.

It is AMAZING how little time it takes to flat-fell (or my version of it, if this is inaccurate...) such tiny little seams!

I shamelessly bribed her with raisins which she is inordinately fond of so I could get her to stand still while I pinned.

I will start on her little dress tomorrow.  I can go faster now that I know how long to make the bodice (it's ridiculous how little fabric it takes to make something short-waisted on a little kid!) and I have a pinafore to make after that.

It's been so fun to have this little cutie-pie to dress up!

-BethT

Gen. 3:21
The LORD God made garments of skin for Adam and his wife and clothed them.

Thus began fashion.
BethT
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 05:11:14 PM »

I finished making this dinky little dress for my 1 1/2 year old niece Memorial day weekend at Greenfield Village, but we didn't have much time to go and hang out.  We did get a few hours in, however, and I have finally gotten some photos.  

I really was tickled with how great she looked.  Also with how the dress and chemise and all went together.  There are a few things I would change (I made the angle of the dress sleeves too shallow, so the chemise corners were always too high...But I won't bore you with all the details.

I used 2 yards of the finer end of JoAnn quilting cotton fabric, and while it looks period to me, I didn't ask for second opinions from any experts.  The pinafore is homespun (also from JoAnn's) and while she had cute little strappy black mary jane's they came off her feet very shortly, and we just let her run around barefoot when we weren't carrying her.  

She seemed to really like her dress and kept twirling.  I was worried it would be too long, and she had a little trouble getting used to the length, but after she had run around the house for a bit she seemed pretty acclimated and didn't even seem to notice what she had on.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-g25POwtQwbE/U8GxcjP9-8I/AAAAAAAACU4/DQ_GswVWQ1A/s400/20140711_113531.jpg

And the kid has good taste - this was her reaction to a 'farby' bonnet:

Grin Grin Grin Grin
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 05:22:49 PM by BethT » Logged

Gen. 3:21
The LORD God made garments of skin for Adam and his wife and clothed them.

Thus began fashion.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: