Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2016 Civilian Symposium  (Read 12163 times)
Carolann Schmitt
Senior Research
Scribblor Infinitus

« on: March 10, 2015, 08:14:09 AM »

Thanks for a wonderful weekend at the 2015 Civilian Symposium at Harrisburg! We had 216 participants from 31 states, Canada and England. We'll be a week later than usual next year due to a booking snafu. Mark your calendars for March 10-13, 2016. We'll announce when registration is open and hotel reservations can be made. It's going to be great!

Regards,
Carolann and Don Schmitt

Carolann Schmitt - Only a historian understands how much you need to know in order to recognize how much you don't know. - Elizabeth Ann Coleman
cschmitt@genteelarts.com
www.genteelarts.com
K Krewer
Senior Research
Scribblor Infinitus

Madame Goldschmidt

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2015, 08:10:44 PM »

Yay!!!!!!! 
I always have a GREAT time and I learn bunches besides.

My new husband was a first-time attendee and he thought it was WONDERFUL.  He has never been to a sit-down conference before so it was quite an experience for him.  I thought he would be overwhelmed, but he really liked it.

The fancy dress party was phenomenal -- so many creative and crafty people in this hobby!

Colleen Formby did a wonderful presentation on the little things that make a dress really special.  Cheyney McKnight did a thoughtful presentation that tied slave medicine to various folk traditions as well as plantation paradigms.  Kimberlee Berezuk talked about the experiences of Army wives -- very informative.  Carolann expanded our horizons -- literally -- in talking about intrepid women travelers.  And these were just the presentations on the "A" track!  I wish I could have gone to the "B" presentations as well.

The joint presentations included Mike Woshner, who is REALLY into rubber -- who would have thought that RUBBER could be so fascinating?  Ron Beavers talked about Arlington House and how it became Arlington Cemetery, and dispelled some myths that have evolved about the Lees and the motives of those who made it a cemetery.  Finally, Nicky Hughes wrapped things up with a talk that turned into a standup comedy routine -- who better to do it?

The symposium always appears to run seamlessly thanks to the hard work of Carolann and Don, whose team provides all the tech support.  Who knows what paddling the "ducks" are doing below the surface, they always sail along swan-like.  Everything was SUPERB.

K Krewer
BetsyConnolly
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2015, 02:08:20 PM »

I had such a fantastic time at the 2015 Symposium! I've been to conferences before, but this one was so unique in how smoothly absolutely everything went. That's not for lack of hiccups - the weather caused lots of headaches, but Carolann and Don and their team were incredible with how they handled everything. Ashley and I were especially amazed that the snacks and refreshments were always exactly what we needed, right when we needed it - I think Carolann is secretly a telepathic magician Cheesy

It was also unique in how jam-packed it was. There were the presentations, but with the networking opportunities, the vendor room (DROOL!) and the displays of originals, we were going from 7 am to 10 pm every single day, and there was STILL more I didn't get to do. Talk about bang for your buck!

It was great to see so many faces from The Sewing Academy there as well. So many new friends made!

I cannot wait for the next one - see you all in 2016!

Betsy Connolly
Living History Society of Minnesota
In The Past Lane - my blog
Mary Warren
Dedicated Scribbler

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p278/marywarns/

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2015, 10:16:02 PM »

I couldn't agree more with K and Betsy about the symposium.  It is always a great time and I learn so much.  K. kindly mentioned all the speakers, but neglected to toot her own horn, so I'll do it for her.  Grin  K's presentation on wrappers and sheer dresses showed me details I had never noticed about them before.  Thanks to everyone who put so much work into this event.  I'm having withdrawal and can't wait to do it all again next year.

Mary Warren

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.?  ?  ?  Thomas Jefferson
Deb Kessler
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2015, 09:21:14 AM »

It was such a wonderful Symposium, from start to finish and always over in the blink of an eye. I think Polly summed it up nicely and amusingly on Saturday morning- you simply want more and more- a very addictive experience to be sure...Smiley

Ditto to all that was stated above. The speakers were just fantastic and I feel as though I could delve into each and every topic more and more. The weather unfortunately kept us from the workshop at the Shippensburg Archives but the Mourning Badge on Friday morning was top notch as was Carolann's textile workshop that afternoon.

The Fancy Dress Party was loads of fun as was playing the games afterwards. It was great to have the opportunity to play such a variety of period games.

As always wonderful to have been a participant- fabulous learning experience and always so nice to see old friends and make new ones.

Until next time,

Deb Kessler
EKorsmo
Dedicated Scribbler

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2015, 11:36:59 PM »

Just registered for 2016.  Can't wait!

EKorsmo
Dedicated Scribbler

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2015, 09:14:45 PM »

Anyone still looking for a roommate?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print