Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: stays for a 9-10yo?  (Read 5405 times)
Mrs Johnson
Frequent Scribbler

« on: December 30, 2014, 05:32:24 PM »

my older daughter will be 10 in april.  should she still be wearing corded stays or moving into something else?  she's getting a more defined waist, can we leave the stays off altogether?

~ Jennifer
Stephanie Brennan
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2015, 09:50:29 AM »

Your daughter is not ready for shaping yet, but she should still wear a garment that helps to give some definition and structure for outer clothing.  Like a underbody or vest. It also helps to distribute the weight of the petticoats, off the waist.
Michaela C
Frequent Scribbler

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 07:33:12 PM »

So, sort of adding on to this, my sister is 12 and I think that the support she needs won't work with a stays because the buttons would rub on her back. Would her needs be something more like a corded corset, with not really any waist compression and straps?

My soul is fed with needle and thread!
Mrs Johnson
Frequent Scribbler

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 02:58:33 PM »

is there a pattern for an underbody or vest anywhere?  i know it seems so simple, but i have a hard time visualizing how something goes together lol.

~ Jennifer
Stormi Souter
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2015, 09:44:19 PM »

I made my sister corded stays off of ESC's girl's unders pattern when she was 10. While I've had to adjust the fit at the side-seams a few times since then, she's still wearing them as a developing almost 14 year old. 

That being said, you'll want to consider if your daughter is an early bloomer, or very developed early on, and if she is, possibly move her into a more structured supportive garment.

Stormi Souter
www.whynotthen.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: