Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: winter underthings  (Read 2237 times)
Mrs Johnson
Frequent Scribbler

« on: December 30, 2014, 05:29:50 PM »

hopefully i can get this out there without being too confusing.  the winter's aren't necessarily super cold, but it is VERY windy {we're in oklahoma}.

wool stockings, where can i find these that aren't super expensive?
so far this is the best i've found:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/203289208/babieschildrens-knitted-merino-wool-knee

but i really would like to pay less, and they're ribbed, and they come from latvia lol.

chemises:
can they be the plain cotton of their regular ones? 

drawers:
canton flannel.
how long should they be? and i can make them with a closed cuff, yes?

petticoat:
i have some red wool, it's not a super close weave, but it's not gauze.  can i use it, and a thin layer of wool or cotton batting and a layer of muslin {or something else?} and make a quilted petticoat?

or i could make a sort of petti-chemise out of the canton flannel.  honestly, i'll probably make one of these anyway, and leave off the stays.

~ Jennifer
Malinda Byrne
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2014, 08:20:52 PM »

I used to find wool knee socks from Sock Dreams.  But, they've been out of kids' sizes/ the kind I used to get for a while.   Sad
The last pairs I bought were Wigwam and I got them on Zulilly (a daily deals site) and I have not been able to find kid's sizes any where on line.  A small women's size may work for older kids.  I have seen the Wigwam socks in women's sizes.  These are all a wool blend though- not 100% wool.  I've paid anywhere from $8- $20 for wool socks. 

My daughter wears her regular cotton chemise year round.  You *could* do chemises of canton flannel.  For winter drawers, I usually do them just below the knee and with a closed cuff. 

I probably wouldn't do a pettichemise out of canton flannel.  I think the skirt would get kind of heavy.  (just my opinion)

I think the best warm layer I've made for my kids is a quilted petticoat.  I love them and they add a nice layer of warmth. 
Malinda

Malinda Byrne
Mrs Johnson
Frequent Scribbler

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2014, 08:28:10 PM »

thanks!

i'm just so worried that they'll end up cold and miserable.

~ Jennifer
Trish B
Frequent Scribbler

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2015, 07:39:51 AM »

You might try Sierra Trading Post  http://www.sierratradingpost.com/s~kids-socks-wool/ 
 or Campmor http://www.campmor.com/SearchDisplay?searchTermScope=&searchType=0&filterTerm=&maxPrice=&langId=-1&beginIndex=0&cg1=200368304&sType=SimpleSearch&cg2=200368297&facetFilter=Kid%27s+Unisex&metaData=&pageSize=28&manufacturer=&resultCatEntryType=&catalogId=40000000226&searchTerm=*&facet=ads_f10028_ntk_cs%253A%2522Kid%2527s%2BUnisex%2522&minPrice=&categoryId=200368512&storeId=226
Pretty much all of them have a bit of nylon or lycra for fit, but they would be warm.  They are both very good to work with if you need to return or exchange.      Warm wishes to you and the kids!  trish B.
Malinda Byrne
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2015, 09:26:14 AM »

What's the nature of the event you'll all be attending?  Will you be day tripping or camping?  If day tripping, are you planning on staying for the whole day or just a few hours?  Layers that you can add or subtract as necessary are a really good plan.  I think I always go with regular chemises because I have other options that can keep the torso warm that are easier to remove if someone gets too warm. 
Malinda

Malinda Byrne
Stephanie Brennan
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2015, 09:38:16 AM »

To keep warm - A undershirt with buttons at the waistline for cotton drawers and a wool petticoat.  Wool petticoats are essential for children all through the year. The type of wool should be appropriate for the weather. Layer this with more petticoats and wool drawers to go over the cotton ones.  For her top make a quilted body or cotton underbody. There is no chemise needed for these type of underpinnings.

I ditto the layers. Kids warm up fast while running around.

References:  Knickerbockers for children Peterson 1863- We can strongly recommend these articles for winter wear. Made in  scarlett flannel, and worn over the ordinary drawers ( but only out of doors), they are exceedingly comfortable. 

Added links -   canton flannel 
http://books.google.com/books?id=cqfNAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA558&lpg=PA558&dq=underclothes+for+winter+ladies&source=bl&ots=_uokfKsr4i&sig=9BfjmSq7KXbKpI36SzE-GQWvTpA&hl=en&sa=X&ei=eKVhUOLZNeWg2QXEgIGgDQ&ved=0CDsQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=underclothes%20for%20winter%20ladies&f=false
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 09:44:15 AM by Stephanie Brennan » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: