Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: thoughts on this less than pleased young man?  (Read 4328 times)
Mrs Johnson
Frequent Scribbler

« on: October 15, 2014, 01:42:38 PM »

he'll be 12 in a few weeks.  i still need to add the buttons to his cuffs and finish his suspenders.

the shoes aren't the ones he's wearing at our events, but i didn't feel like fixing them up yet.  that's for next week.

~ Jennifer
Mrs Johnson
Frequent Scribbler

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2014, 10:38:37 AM »

that bad huh?

what should i change?

~ Jennifer
Allison vV
Dedicated Scribbler

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2014, 12:26:36 PM »

Not at all! Smiley Sorry, things seem a bit slow right now.

He's really looks good.  I'm sorry he's so unhappy.  Tell him he looks quite the young gentleman Smiley.

Please note: I am no expert.  Here are some things that I noticed.  Just some little touches to add to your excellent beginning.

The shirt looks like it might be just a tad too big in the shoulders and sleeves.  However, the shoulder width gives him room to grow, which is probably an acceptable design in young men's clothes.  You might want to taper the sleeve a little, so that it isn't quite so wide below the elbow.

The trouser shape looks good.  For next time, I think the rise (crotch to waistband) could be a little higher.  The waist level looks a wee bit low.  I see a little bit of the lining peeking out at the fly.  It's helpful to sew that in just behind the edge, so it doesn't show. This is probably an easy fix -- just a matter of picking out a section of the seam and fudging the seam allowances.  Take a greater seam allowance from the lining, and a lesser from the trouser material.

One more thing, it might just be the picture, but the trousers look like they taper quite suddenly at the ankle.  Is the hem just caught on the top of the shoes?

Congratulations!  I just finished fitting out my brother, so I know how much work went into those pieces. 

Allison van Vegten

"Procrastination is the thief of time. Collar him!" Charles Dickens

"It's the job that's never started as takes longest to finish." J. R. R. Tolkien
Mrs Johnson
Frequent Scribbler

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2014, 05:48:04 PM »

thanks!  he's not one for photos lol.

these were started last year, when i'd just begun to sew, i 'll redo them at some point now that i'm a better seamstress.  they're drafted from devere's boys plates. so not sure about the tapering thing.  and the one is caught up on his shoe.

i feel like older styles are ok for our impressions, i might work up different shirt styles later on.

~ Jennifer
Elaine Kessinger
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2014, 07:34:58 AM »

It has been very quiet here of late.

Cap: Bravo! Caps are one of those items that folks are reluctant to try and only a few merchants carry sizes for boys... sometimes. It looks very well.

Shirt: Overall looks very good. How are the sleeves when not rolled? The excess in the shoulders should give some nice growth room and doesn't make the should droop too badly. On the next shirts you do, make sure to keep the growth room moderate or the shoulders will droop in excess and the sleeves will be obnoxiously long. It might help to begin taking his "sleeve length" measure from the center back as men's clothing is and notate the proportions.

Trousers: Overall looks good. He does have them a bit low-slung. Two things can happen... tighter in the waist with more of a curve to the hips means they can only droop down so far and lengthen the stride (front to crotch to back seam). Period trousers should be very fluffy in the backside to accommodate movement. It goes against the modern aesthetics, but works with fabric physics.
The taper is called "peg top" and is coming into fashion in the 1860s.

What makes him unhappy? Can he put that unhappiness into words? Are all his playmates in "mini-man" trousers and he's still too young? I have a young friend where that is the issue, only he's focused on sleeves. :-p Once he was able to express to his mother and I, "the sleeves are poofy. They're too big," we were able to get to the heart of his unhappiness and find compromises.

MaryDee
Frequent Scribbler

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2014, 10:26:53 AM »

I have a suspicion that this unhappy young man is fed up with having to be a dressmaker's dummy for the umpteenth time!   I can't blame him!   I hope he has cheered up and that this doesn't put him off period clothing permanently!   

I suspect the pants will ride better once the braces (suspenders) are added. 

Like Mrs. Kessinger, I've been wondering where everyone is! 
Mrs Johnson
Frequent Scribbler

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2014, 05:19:01 PM »

ha!  yes, he wasn't very happy about my making him put his outfit on so i could take a picture.

the trousers were started when i had just begun sewing, i'm hoping to make a newer {better} pair within the next couple of months.

i still have no added the buttons to his cuffs, also on the list.  i'll take a new photo once that's done.

~ Jennifer
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: