Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Godey's 1874 to godey's 1888  (Read 5685 times)
Sue Leurgans
Veteran Scribbler

« on: October 15, 2014, 10:45:23 AM »

Hi,
If anyone happens to have any godey's written between the dates above and are willing to look at something in them for me. Please PM me. This is related to food... so I put the topic here.  Smiley

Thanks

Evie

Sue Leurgans
AKA Miss Lawrence
"The secret of happiness is something to do" - John Burroughs
Sue Leurgans
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2014, 06:51:33 AM »

Have managed to narrow the search from 1874 to Jan 1880.  Sometime during those 6 years Godey's changed from receipts to recipes for the title of that section. Want to find exactly when they changed the title, if you happen to have a Godey's during those years, please let me know. 

Sue Leurgans
AKA Miss Lawrence
"The secret of happiness is something to do" - John Burroughs
EKorsmo
Dedicated Scribbler

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2017, 09:52:04 PM »

Old topic, but it peaked my interest about terminology changes. If anyone else is interested, Godey's appears to change theirs between 1878 ("receipts") and 1879 ("recipes").  

To bring it into our period: while receipt is preferred, the terms are mixing even as far back as the 1850s.  In The Behavior Book (1854) Miss Leslie writes: "By-the-bye, remember that a receipt for cookery, is not to be called a recipe. The word recipe belongs to pharmacy, and is only used with reference to medical prescriptions. The cook uses receipts, the apothecary recipes." (p. 272) Emphasis original.  She wouldn't need to clarify if there wasn't some 'mis-use' of the words. In fact, an advertisement the previous year for Miss Leslie's Domestic Receipt Book notes that "It contains directions for cooking, preserving, pickling, preparing almost every description of dish; also one hundred and twenty recipes for preparing farina, Indian meal, fancy tea cakes, marmalades, ec." (emphasis mine).

« Last Edit: December 25, 2017, 10:03:12 PM by EKorsmo » Logged

The Sewing-Bird.
Frequent Scribbler

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2017, 12:32:08 PM »

How very interesting! Thank you for sharing this. If I come across anything, I'll be sure to add to the thread.

"The much-celebrated Miss Middleton, lately of Chicago."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: