Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: what kind of wool to use in paletot sac?  (Read 2042 times)
Mrs Johnson
Frequent Scribbler

« on: October 07, 2014, 07:30:19 AM »

i need to whip up some coats/jackets for my boys.  i only have wool coating, some fairly thick and some that are thinner.  i drafted a pattern for an overcoat, but i don't have enough fabric to make it up :/.  can i use a coating for a shorter sac?  they'll be unlined for now, i don't have the time to do all of the lining right now, but will probably do a quilted lining later on.  plus, it'll probably only be in the 40-50's when they wear them.

my other option is to make 1 longer one with 2 different coatings {they're both navy blue but are every so slightly different} and a red wool flannel overshirt for the other boy.  the girls will probably just use shawls.

~ Jennifer
Allison vV
Dedicated Scribbler

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2014, 12:42:14 PM »

I don't know a lot about young men's clothing, but I thought I'd try some of your question since there aren't any replies yet.

I think a great deal depends on how heavy your coatings are.  Even for an overcoat, I don't think the wool should be very thick and heavy -- multiple, thinner layers would be better.

You mentioned an "overcoat".  Do you mean a "second" coat to go over the "regular" coat?  If I understand you right, you just need plain coats.  How long were you figuring on making them?  If it is indeed an overcoat, it doesn't have to be really long; it's just cut with greater ease in order to fit over the regular coat.  If this is the only coat they'll be wearing, making a short, unlined sac coat would be fine.

I would hesitate to use two different materials, unless the colour could reasonably be called "identical".  It would be better to piece some areas if need, I think.

I hope this is helpful, and not too late.

Allison van Vegten

"Procrastination is the thief of time. Collar him!" Charles Dickens

"It's the job that's never started as takes longest to finish." J. R. R. Tolkien
Mrs Johnson
Frequent Scribbler

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2014, 05:40:53 PM »

it's almost finished.  it's a medium weight, from what i can tell anyway.  the colors are indistinguishable; well dh can't see a difference lol.

i'll post a photo when it's finished.

~ Jennifer
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: