Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: sheer dress  (Read 1408 times)
Mrs Johnson
Frequent Scribbler

« on: August 31, 2014, 04:57:16 PM »

finished little dd's sheer, it's a lavender cotton voile, lined with a white cotton voile. infant bodice, ruched slim sleeve with a semi-adjustable neck.  i used an inch wide band of cotton muslin behind the gathering stitches {i thought i remembered reading about sheers needing this, but couldn't find it again.  the fabric is too thin to really sustain them alone anyway}.  i did a narrower waistband, thought it'd look better with the 'lightness'.

please let me know if anything is incorrect!  i have the same fabric in a green that i'm making up for big dd, plus 2 other cotton dresses {more of a quilting weight}.  i'm also hoping to use extra of these voile fabrics to make corded sunbonnets for all of us.

now, do i lengthen the skirt?  or shorten the petticoat?

lol.  the dress is around 4-5" below her knee.  i might just make a whole new petti, i'm not totally pleased with the fabric i used.

she's 6 Cheesy

« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 05:03:25 PM by Mrs Johnson » Logged

~ Jennifer
Ms. Jean
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 05:16:32 PM »

Daughter and dress are lovely!

Ms. Jean
Route 66
Allison vV
Dedicated Scribbler

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 05:40:12 PM »

Lovely work, Mrs. Johnson!  The fabric, styling, and little lady are beautiful Smiley.

The dress length as-is looks to be on the shorter side for her age.  To lengthen it, you could simply remove the tuck, or make a smaller tuck -- depending on the length needed to cover the petticoat.

To the shorten the petticoat, you could do the opposite.  Make a tuck of the needed width so that it is a little shorter than the dress.  Or, as you said, you can make a new petticoat.  However, I think that the dress could be a little bit longer anyway.

Allison van Vegten

"Procrastination is the thief of time. Collar him!" Charles Dickens

"It's the job that's never started as takes longest to finish." J. R. R. Tolkien
Mrs Johnson
Frequent Scribbler

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2014, 06:13:55 PM »

thanks!  it's a 4" tuck, i wonder if taking it down to 2" would be enough.

i changed a couple of things mid-assembly.  next time i'll only change trims!

~ Jennifer
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: