Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Civilian Symposium at Harrisburg  (Read 9278 times)
Carolann Schmitt
Senior Research
Scribblor Infinitus

« on: August 27, 2014, 06:32:00 PM »

Genteel Arts is pleased to announce the program for The Civilian Symposium at Harrisburg, formerly known as the Ladies & Gentlemen of the 1860s Conference, to be held in Camp Hill (Harrisburg), PA on March 5-8, 2015. For 20 years, new and experienced historians, researchers, museum personnel, reenactors and other enthusiasts have met with their counterparts from across the country to discover new information, and to learn new skills. Genteel Arts invites you to join us for a weekend of informative presentations, hands-on workshops and seminars about the men and women of the mid-nineteenth century, what they wore, and how they lived.

The 1860s Conference has changed over the years. It was originally conceived by the founder, Judith Martin, as a weekend retreat where women could get help with their reproduction costumes. After six years at the helm, Mrs. Martin retired and Genteel Arts assumed sponsorship. In the following years we expanded the program to include gentlemen and added presentations on social and material culture as well as clothing. We also added additional workshop sessions, off-site tours, a needlework competition, a juried Marketplace, receptions, occasional balls and our first Fancy Dress party. 

As we enter our third decade, we are making additional changes. The most obvious change is our name, one that reflects the main focus and structure of the event, The Civilian Symposium at Harrisburg. Our focus has always been on the civilians of the mid-nineteenth century. A symposium is defined as a collection of presentations on a subject by a number of contributors, an appropriate description for this event. Harrisburg has been our location for 17 of our 20 years; the location name may change for future symposia. We?ve also created a new logo for the Symposium that reflects our focus.

We?ve added some new features to our program, including:
?   We?ve reduced the registration fee. (Yes, reduced!)
?   We?re offering more options for meals during the weekend.   
?   You?ll receive the handouts for all of the presentations offered during the concurrent sessions on Saturday, not just the handouts for the sessions you attended.
?   We?re having a Fancy Dress Party on Saturday evening! 

We?ve also retained the features that have made the weekend a success:
?   A full program of presentations of interest to both ladies and gentlemen.
?   A combination of joint and concurrent sessions. 
?   Pre-symposium seminars, tours and hands-on workshops on Thursday and Friday.
?   Angels Project.
?   Welcome Reception and Sociable
?   Extensive exhibits of original clothing, accessories, jewelry, and artifacts, changed daily. Bring your camera!
?   A juried Marketplace open to Symposium participants, guests and the general public. Admission is free.
?   Reduced registration fee is offered for junior attendees and full-time college students.
?   Special packages for your family or guest(s).

Make plans now to attend this enriching weekend and meet others who share a dedicated interest in the clothing and culture of the Civil War era. Complete details, hotel information and registration forms can be found at www.genteelarts.com.  Register early!  Previous Symposia have been sold out!

Carolann Schmitt - Only a historian understands how much you need to know in order to recognize how much you don't know. - Elizabeth Ann Coleman
cschmitt@genteelarts.com
www.genteelarts.com
E L Watkins-Morris
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 11:38:07 AM »

Carolann,

First: I love the new name! Makes for much better shorthand (LG1860C?).
Second: Registered & totally noticed the change in cost.
Third: Awesome selection of workshops. Looking forward as always!

Finally: Stupid something that someone other than myself absolutely thinks about (please tell me that is true)...I consolidated my individual conference notes into large binders and have no use for the smaller ones. Would you like these back to reuse at some point?

Liz W.

Materium Superbat Opus-Ovid
Simple yet complex...-Mark Baldridge, Art 101: The Principles of Design
Elizabeth
Administrator
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 01:37:33 PM »

Please, everyone, if you get a chance to save up and register and go: DO IT. It's a great experience, fantastic classes and speakers, and you'll love it!!!

Regards,
Elizabeth
Miss Lydia
Developing Scribbler

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 01:46:22 PM »

My parents are helping me to go to the Conference this year - it's serving as my birthday present, come early. I'm still in charge of paying for a hotel however, and by March (unless I get another job quick quick quick) my wallet will be starting to get a little cobwebby and I'll need roommates. I'm hoping to get one of the rooms in the Radisson that the Conference has reserved (hopefully they haven't all booked up THIS quickly!).

I'm not entirely sure how to advertise myself as a potential roommate  Cheesy I'm planning to drive down on Thursday in time to freshen up a little and get dressed for the welcoming reception, so I'm planning on staying three nights. I'm small and don't take up much room, I'm not a bed hog or a covers-hog, I don't snore (so I've been told), I don't keep late hours, I won't throw my things all over the place, and I promise not to sing opera in the shower  Tongue

Three roommates would make my wallet happiest.

I'm super excited for the Conference and can't wait to meet new people and do some fangirling if I meet some sewing heroines! I'm especially excited about the fancy dress party - I've been DYING to go to one!
Carolann Schmitt
Senior Research
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2014, 06:46:39 PM »

Liz -

Kudos for the recycling question.  I like the idea a lot; but some participants are not receptive to receiving a recycled binder. We've also discovered the ink from the covers tends to 'stick' to the plastic and leaves marks. Could you donate them to a pre-school or similar facility in your area?  Smiley

Carolann

Carolann Schmitt - Only a historian understands how much you need to know in order to recognize how much you don't know. - Elizabeth Ann Coleman
cschmitt@genteelarts.com
www.genteelarts.com
Carolann Schmitt
Senior Research
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2014, 06:50:06 PM »

Miss Lydia -

Hooray!  That's a very nice gift from your parents. 

If you're on Facebook, post a note on the Genteel Arts Facebook page that you're looking for roommates. Several participants found roommates that way last year. I'll also keep you in mind if I get other inquiries from someone looking for a roommate.

We still have rooms in our block, but I recommend making your reservation sooner rather than later. You can always cancel it if your potential roommate(s) also have reservations.

See you in March!
Carolann

cschmitt@genteelarts.com
www.genteelarts.com
Miss Lydia
Developing Scribbler

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2014, 08:25:21 PM »

Is the hotel offering the reduced rate only for the rooms in that reserved block, by the way? It's looking like I'll be registering and making my reservation tomorrow.

I'll post on the Facebook page as well. My biggest concern is that I'm going to end up sans roommates and end up paying a full month and a half's pay just for a room for the trip.  Shocked
Carolann Schmitt
Senior Research
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2014, 07:51:34 AM »

You need to mention you are attending the Civilian Symposium to receive the reduced room rate. If our block gets filled, I can ask the hotel to add additional rooms to the block IF they are available - no guarantees. :-)

Carolann

cschmitt@genteelarts.com
www.genteelarts.com
bevinmacrae
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2014, 06:26:28 AM »

Lydia,

Several members that attended the Immersion Event also go to the Conference. You may be able to share a room AND carpool with them! Try putting out feelers on the event's yahoogroup and I bet a couple people will take you up.
I'd love to attend, but the museum has made it pretty clear that I need to spend my "conference $" this year on attending and speaking at the national ALHFAM conference in the very expense Williamsburg area. I have no idea what I'm going to talk about....
Bevin

Bevin MacRae

"Inspiring excitement and curiosity about the past!"
www.gcv.org
Maggie Koenig
Research
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2014, 08:24:52 PM »

Bevin,
   Your group did such a nice job on Thursday evening last year with your play.  Perhaps you could do a talk on period home entertainments :-)

Maggie Koenig
Gettysburg, PA

"If you can't make it good, you can at least make it shiny!"
bevinmacrae
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2014, 07:13:46 AM »

Thanks, Maggie!
Though see the above-I can't come this year.
Bevin

Bevin MacRae

"Inspiring excitement and curiosity about the past!"
www.gcv.org
Carolann Schmitt
Senior Research
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2015, 12:45:17 PM »

If you haven't already done so, it's time to make your hotel reservations for the Civilian Symposium at Harrisburg!

To receive the discounted rate, please call the Radisson Hotel Harrisburg directly at 717-763-7117 and mention that you are with the Civilian Symposium at Harrisburg. The symposium rate is not available online. The hotel will honor the reduced rate for reservations made on or before February 2, 2015. Requests received after this date will be accepted on a space/rate available basis.

The hotel will honor the symposium rate for the period March 1 through March 10, 2015 if you would like to extend your stay to include days before or after the symposium.

The Radisson has recently upgraded most of their rooms with new furnishings, multiple outlets, faster free Wi-Fi Internet, and new heating/cooling systems.

The hotel has been sold out in past years. You are strongly encouraged to make your reservations now. Complete details at www.genteelarts.com  Click on the link for Symposium information and scroll down to the Hotel Info.

Hope to see you in March!

Carolann

cschmitt@genteelarts.com
www.genteelarts.com
BetsyConnolly
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2015, 09:34:47 PM »

I'm looking for roommates! There's already another person in my room but it would be nice to have more to even out the load. I'm also willing to cancel my room if someone already has a room and wants to adopt us in theirs. Send me a message!

Betsy Connolly
Living History Society of Minnesota
In The Past Lane - my blog
Carolann Schmitt
Senior Research
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2015, 01:32:13 PM »

Sending you a message, Betsy. I have a room mate for you that should be a good match.

cschmitt@genteelarts.com
www.genteelarts.com
Carolann Schmitt
Senior Research
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2015, 07:18:29 PM »

The jury has reached a decision! We are pleased to announce the following merchants are scheduled to appear in the Marketplace at the Civilian Symposium at Harrisburg, March 6-8, 2015.

Caravan of Kashmir - Cashmere shawls imported from Kashmir.

Civil War and More - Wide selection of books on a variety of mid-19th century topics.

Corner Clothiers - Clothing and accessories for men and women.

Genteel Arts - Antique buttons and laces, books, patterns for period accessories, and miscellaneous items.

Half Moon Handwerks - Yarns, threads, books, tools and notions for period needlework, including bobbin lace, tatting, knitting, crochet and other embellishments.

James Country Mercantile - Books, Homespun Patterns, general merchandise for men and women.

James River Emporium - Large selection of original jewelry, antique clothing, millinery, textiles, trimmings, cdvs, and other fine antiques.

Lucy's Hairwork - Reproduction hair jewelry and accessories.

Mac's Sutlery - A wide variety of antique items including accessories for men and women, household items, textiles and ephemera.

Merrick's Custom Leather - Museum quality reproductions of mid-19th century leather work.

Miller's Millinery - Ready to wear bonnets, caps, headdresses, ornaments, smoking caps, night caps, headwear for gentlemen, patterns, decorations and other millinery items.

Needle & Thread - Wide selection of fabrics and trimmings for the mid-19th century tailor and dressmaker.

N.J. Sekela - Reproduction women's shoes, documented reproductions of notions, findings, and items of material culture.

Ragged Soldier Sutlery - Mid-19th century tools and games; publications from Virginia's Verandah.

S&S Sutlery - Clothing, accessories, notions, findings, knitted items, yarns and a variety of other merchandise for men and women.

Second Mourning - Fine reproduction gutta percha jewelry for men and women.

Sullivan Press - Facsimile reproductions of books, Dime novels and guides, forms, and stationery.

The Carpetbagger - Reproduction carpet bags and valises.

The Dressmaker's Shop - Accessories for men and women, fabrics, trimmings, millinery, jewelry and a variety of other items.

The Lady in White - Ladies' undergarments and accessories.

Timely Tresses - Patterns, kits and ready-to-wear bonnets, caps, and headdresses. Flowers, ribbons, trimmings and other embellishments.

Victorian Sentiments - Mid-19th century jewelry, antiques, accessories and ephemera.

The Marketplace will be open to Conference participants AND the public on:
Friday, 03/06 11 AM - 7 PM
Saturday,03/07 7:30 AM - 5:30 PM
Sunday, 03/08 8 AM - 12:30 PM
No admission fee.

Let's go shopping!

cschmitt@genteelarts.com
www.genteelarts.com
Sherry Key
Frequent Scribbler

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2015, 07:44:33 AM »

Carolann,   

Sounds like a wonderful line up...sorry I will miss it as usual.  Just a general question: I obviously know what notions, trims,  etc. are but what would "findings" be?

Thank you,
Sherry.

Sherry Key
South Carolina
E L Watkins-Morris
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2015, 09:23:10 AM »

Bits and pieces to make other things. In Sekela's case I'm guessing suspender buckles/adjusters, button molds.

Usually see the term in jewelry making where it refers to earring hooks, necklace clasps, blank combs, pin backs that kind of thing.

HTH,

Liz W.

Materium Superbat Opus-Ovid
Simple yet complex...-Mark Baldridge, Art 101: The Principles of Design
Sherry Key
Frequent Scribbler

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2015, 11:15:25 AM »

That is what I was thinking but wanted to be sure.  I have indeed heard it as regards jewelry but hadn't considered buckles, etc. in regards to clothing in general.  Guess I was still classifiying those as notions in my mind.

Thanks Liz W.
Sherry.

Sherry Key
South Carolina
BetsyConnolly
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2015, 11:59:18 AM »

Hey gang,

I have a friend who would like to attend this, but he needs to find someone to carpool with. He's in the Hudson River Valley area. Let me know if you're coming that way and I'll get you in touch!

Betsy Connolly
Living History Society of Minnesota
In The Past Lane - my blog
Maggie Koenig
Research
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2015, 01:19:43 PM »

Betsy,

If he can get the Amtrak fairly easily the hotel has shuttles that will run back and forth to the train station.

Maggie Koenig
Gettysburg, PA

"If you can't make it good, you can at least make it shiny!"
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: