Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: children's glasses  (Read 4473 times)
Mrs Johnson
Frequent Scribbler

« on: July 24, 2014, 08:50:41 PM »

my littlest wears glasses.  i've tried googling but didn't have much luck in finding cdvs or examples of children wearing glasses.

i'm hoping someone can help me out... i'm trying to get a modern pair that'll work, since i'm not willing to pay big bucks for something that won't last lol.  her current ones are purple plastic; which worked for us last year but our next event is more strict.

as of now, i'm just looking for some that are similar to adult worn examples, but i'd like confirmation that kids did wear glasses in the 1860's.  even if they didn't, i refuse to let my baby deal without them for the sake of an event.

~ Jennifer
Marta Vincent
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 06:16:39 AM »

Yes, kids wore glasses.  I recall having seen cdv's of young ones wearing glasses the were (IIRC) rounder than the oval adult glasses.  Hopefully others can chime in with more info that I have.

...and, mother might remove glasses from a child about to be photographed.  We all know women (especially) that won't wear their glasses at all unless absolutely necessary - and especially not in photos!!!!
Stephanie Brennan
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 06:56:04 AM »

I commend  you for wanting to be as authentic as possible. My own views in this lead me to make my children's shoes until they could be in adult sizes.  Glasses were definitely  worn by children. Medical journals give several examples for cases.

You sound like you have a reasonable solution- possibly a wire frame with a similar shape to period glasses.

Elizabeth
Administrator
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 09:29:03 AM »

Yes, go for a metal frame, gold-tone or silver, with a smallish round lens--unobtrusive is the goal. Since it sounds like you have the current script for your little one, consider going through Zenni Optical--they're dirt cheap, but good glasses. For instance, these in "gold" are $10 for frames *and* lenses, and if you print out the frame in the right pupilary distance and check them on your kiddo, they might be a good size/fit: http://www.zennioptical.com/450114-stainless-steel-full-rim-frame-with-acetate-temples.html   For events that are fairly stringent on material culture, unobtrusive eyewear and shoes on kids will generally pass muster. (And one benefit of having modern "passable" glasses in an inexpensive format is that your kiddo will always have a back-up pair... $10 to replace doesn't make Mom and Dad cringe all day. Cheesy )

Another option is a period frame; often, those available in antique shops have a small size that works for kids (better than it works for me with my big round peasant head). Then there's the expense of a lens, same as adult. For the most stringent events, that's the best option.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 09:32:25 AM by Elizabeth » Logged

Regards,
Elizabeth
Mrs Johnson
Frequent Scribbler

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 12:07:31 PM »

how cute is this?  found it last night.

~ Jennifer
Heidi Hollister
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 05:27:31 PM »

Spectacular!  Where did you find that?

Semper Sewus Historicana!
Mrs Johnson
Frequent Scribbler

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2014, 09:44:25 AM »

through pinterest, it's on a blog.  i have no idea where she found it though.

http://regencyknitter.blogspot.com/2011/10/starting-my-first-sweater-and.html

~ Jennifer
Heidi Hollister
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2014, 03:21:02 PM »

Thanks! saved for my own reference.

Mrs Johnson
Frequent Scribbler

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2014, 02:39:50 PM »

i got these for my little one {it says men's but they were in the kids' section lol}
http://www.zennioptical.com/450011-metal-alloy-full-rim-frame-with-spring-hinge.html

and these for myself
http://www.zennioptical.com/810011-full-rim-metal-alloy-with-spring-hinge-same-appearance-as-frame-4100.html

they'll do for now!

~ Jennifer
Heidi Hollister
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2014, 06:32:35 AM »

Hey!  For modern eyewear those look pretty close, good hunting!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: