Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Men's Leather Gloves  (Read 4899 times)
Allison vV
Dedicated Scribbler

« on: July 18, 2014, 01:09:18 PM »

Does anyone have a source for men's "period similar" leather gloves?  I searched the forum for ideas, but didn't find very much -- please forgive me if I missed something.

Any thin leather (probably unlined) glove in a colour other than white would be nice, e.g., kidskin, calfskin, pig, &c.  I found some white leather gloves on Ebay, but for daywear I would like a colour.  Also, a price under (maybe around) $50 would be particularly nice Smiley.  Where can I find such a thing?  He probably can't go without, right?

How about if I made them?  I found some nice leather hides which are suitable for gloves.  Or would it be better if I saved to purchase ready-made?

Allison van Vegten

"Procrastination is the thief of time. Collar him!" Charles Dickens

"It's the job that's never started as takes longest to finish." J. R. R. Tolkien
EKorsmo
Dedicated Scribbler

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2014, 11:46:13 AM »

Let us know if you find anything; all the reenactor men I've known seem to use cloth gloves due to difficulties in finding affordable leather ones.  I get mine at second-hand stores, but that only really works for women's gloves in the smaller sizes.

Ms. Jean
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2014, 05:58:42 PM »

Not sure where you live, but my local "farm store" has tan deerhide gloves.  Perforated on the back of the hand.

If there is a similar store, or a Western store, you might find something useful.

HTH,

Jean

Ms. Jean
Route 66
Stephanie Brennan
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 02:56:47 AM »

http://thesewingacademy.org/index.php?topic=8612.0
Allison vV
Dedicated Scribbler

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 10:03:30 AM »

Miss Jean, I'm afraid the deerskin gloves in hardware stores or places like Tractor Supply aren't going to look correct for the period, or dressy enough.  Maybe for work gloves Smiley.  I had though of looking at equine supply places, but I think that most of their gloves are going to have some kind of synthetic material on them.

Mrs. Brennan, thank you, I did look at that post and many (maybe all Smiley) other posts on leather gloves from both the ladies' and men's boards.  I found these sources in my research (these are unlined):

Madova -- $40-$57

Kuc Leather Goods (Etsy) -- $50

Chester Jefferies -- $65

Leather Gloves Online -- $50

Damco (Ebay) -- $54-$56

I think we may have to consider this an investment and just get them Smiley.  He can wear them to church, too.  Does anyone have any other sources or suggestions?

P.S. His hands measure 9" or 22.5 cm clenched; 8.25" or 21.5 cm flat.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 12:02:48 PM by Allison vV » Logged

Allison van Vegten

"It's the job that's never started as takes longest to finish." J. R. R. Tolkien
Stephanie Brennan
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2014, 06:59:11 AM »

I don't know if you noticed leather gloves has a sale on black police gloves for approx. $25.00. However, sizes are usually limited.
Allison vV
Dedicated Scribbler

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2014, 08:11:28 AM »

Thank you, Mrs. Brennan, for pointing that out.  The thin leather might have been just perfect, but most of the police/patrol/search gloves that I have seen (including those that you mentioned) have elastic at the wrist.  I don't think that is correct for the period (is it?).

I showed my brother the different options and colours, and we chose Chester Jefferies.  They were an investment Smiley but are exactly what we wanted, and Chester Jefferies was very nice in the correspondence regarding the best size.  I can't wait 'till they arrive!

Allison van Vegten

Stephanie Brennan
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2014, 02:12:35 PM »

I'm sorry I did not get back to you earlier. The police gloves from Leather Gloves have elastic at the inside wrist only. It is easy to remove. I bought a pair in cordova for myself and was able to remove the elastic and make a vent on the inside wrist. The great thing is they have the 3 lines going up the back of the hand just like the originals.
Allison vV
Dedicated Scribbler

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2014, 02:55:20 PM »

I hadn't thought of removing the elastic.  Thank you.  If I don't find a pair for myself in some antique stores this week, I may try some of those.

Allison van Vegten

Sue Leurgans
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2015, 06:49:19 AM »

Very late to the thread.

Possibly another source is Driving essentials. http://www.drivingessentials.com/gloves.php

They are only going to have variations of brown, color wise.  If you happen upon a Carriage Driving Competition, it might be worth checking the vendors as what is at a show has been greater than what is on the website.

Sue Leurgans
AKA Miss Lawrence
"The secret of happiness is something to do" - John Burroughs
EKorsmo
Dedicated Scribbler

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2015, 10:32:09 AM »

Just putting this here to keep the glove discussion together, but I did find a period reference (1852) to elastic being used in gloves, though in context it sounds like silk/cotton/thread gloves have "elastic wristbands", rather than the various leather varieties (of which a comprehensive list is included):

The Encyclopedia of Domestic Economy, page 1020

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: