Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Changing Drawers Patterns  (Read 5578 times)
Michaela C
Frequent Scribbler

« on: July 13, 2014, 08:18:21 PM »

Is it possible to change Liz's pattern for split drawers to closed-seam drawers without too much difficulty?

And can I use Liz's instructions on drafting and making a corded corset but with straps for stays for a girl?

I just got the Dressmakers guide and I am super excited  Grin. I'm trying to figure out how many of the patterns overlap for girls.

My soul is fed with needle and thread!
Paula
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 06:55:21 AM »

Michaela
Liz has a pattern specifically written for girls it includes, closed drawers, corded stays, etc.  What age girl are you trying to fit?
Michaela C
Frequent Scribbler

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 09:09:08 AM »

She is almost 12. I was just wondering if the patterns could easily be adapted. I think I will try, the drawers is only a yard and a half of muslin.

Ms. Jean
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 10:29:52 AM »

Disclaimer: I am an Expert Soccer Mom.  Cool

Have you read through the children's threads?  I recall a discussion of making side button drawers for younger girls.  I think ESC recommends them for anyone young enough to do cartwheels?

Ms. Jean
Route 66
Stephanie Brennan
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2014, 06:03:15 AM »

For authenticity,at age 12 girls would wear open crotch drawers like their mothers. But if the girls are active or just simplicity is needed closed crotch drawers with elastic at the waist can't be beat.                      Stephanie
Michaela C
Frequent Scribbler

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2014, 08:35:39 AM »

I was able to make the closed crotch drawers without too much trouble. I made them a little less wide (I used Mrs. Clark's instructions in the Dressmakers Guide) and attached it to a waistband with a button.

Elizabeth
Administrator
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2014, 10:16:17 PM »

The switchover to closed drawers has a window--whenever a girl goes into figure-supporting stays/corsets, that's when the transition point seems to happen, so that might be at 12 or 16 or anywhere in between.

Yes, you absolutely can scale down the instructions for girls! Cheesy One chemises and drawers, use 36" widths as your start point, unless the girl in question is hitting 5'2"+ and getting a filled-in figure.

Regards,
Elizabeth
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: