Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Crowing about Crowning Glory  (Read 91567 times)
Amorette Bertilson
Frequent Scribbler

« Reply #160 on: October 29, 2010, 04:11:11 PM »

I'm coming out of the dark to show you what crazy things I've tried with my hair!

I have been gathering hair for two years, ever since I learned about hair rats, and, well, it's high time I actually tried to use the hair. I have way too much. ^.^ And it's all bunchy.

Here: http://picasaweb.google.com/woodsy.roisin/Moi#

The newer uploads in which I'm wearing a purplish shirt are the, well, newer ones with hair rats. The other style is kind of depressingly not satisfactory- I was only putting my hair up on a whim, so it wasn't done with tons of thought, and I didn't mean it to be perfect. If you like it, that would be encouraging, though. And the last picture is for reference of the length of my hair- it's about thigh, several inches from my knees, but very thin at the ends. Also, I don't wash my hair with shampoo anymore- I use baking soda sometimes when I feel I need it, but mostly I just let it be a little oily and it works very, very well for braiding and putting it up.

For critique- could you tell me if you think I put the hair rats in right, and perhaps could someone tell me how they do it, so I kind of get a better grasp of just how to do it? I twisted it in (so to speak) from the back of the hair, at the part, if that makes any sense. I think next time I will try to twist it more, but I fear the hair rats will show from the back.

Anyway! There you have it.

Fibrous, of fibrous undertakings-
http://fibrousthreads.wordpress.com/
Joanna Jones
« Reply #161 on: October 29, 2010, 04:26:18 PM »

I love them all, but especially the "rat" one!  You did an amazing job.  I have had trouble with rats (my hair isn't that long) but a couple of times I have had sucess by doing the twisting and styling, then tucking the rats inside the twists.

Joanna
Brooke Whitaker
Scribblor Infinitus

♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦Me♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦

« Reply #162 on: October 30, 2010, 06:22:19 AM »

Amorette, I think both of them look lovely. Smiley I wish I had that much hair. lol  Kiss

Cool-Born a Yankee, but a Rebel by choice- Cool
                      -Brooke-

My blog: http://stitchesofthepast.blogspot.com/
My Etsy Shop:  www.stitchesofthepast.etsy.com
Amorette Bertilson
Frequent Scribbler

« Reply #163 on: October 30, 2010, 04:30:55 PM »

Thanks a lot. Cheesy That's really encouraging- I'll be trying more some other times to see if I can get the rats in perfectly, and I'll probably record it (since I like to record things).

Joanna Jones
« Reply #164 on: October 30, 2010, 07:24:32 PM »

Please do record it - there are not a lot of tutorials on the web for how to do hair!
BethT
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #165 on: October 30, 2010, 09:08:43 PM »

Amorette!  Wonderful hair!  You look great. Cheesy Cheesy

Gen. 3:21
The LORD God made garments of skin for Adam and his wife and clothed them.

Thus began fashion.
Amorette Bertilson
Frequent Scribbler

« Reply #166 on: October 31, 2010, 09:54:51 AM »

Thanks. Smiley

By record it I meant take pictures when I'm done, but I could sometime try to take pictures of while I'm doing it, so people get more of the idea. I think I need to perfect it first, and then I'll do that, and I should get some pomade to help keep it in place.

KayAllen
« Reply #167 on: October 31, 2010, 12:38:20 PM »

Amorette, your hair is charming!  And it perfectly frames your perfectly sweet 1860s face!   

Kay A.
Amorette Bertilson
Frequent Scribbler

« Reply #168 on: November 04, 2010, 09:00:27 AM »

Thanks, Kay! I'm glad to know I have an 1860's face. The only thing you can't fix your own way for the period. ^.^

Fiddlin Girl
« Reply #169 on: November 04, 2010, 11:23:28 AM »

Amorette,

You look absolutely beautiful!! And it isn't just the hair, which looks really nice, but you!!

Good job everyone!!! Y'all are looking great! Lots of inspiration... ooh, and I am spending the night at a friend's tonight.. I think maybe doing hair should be on the list of things to do! lol!

FG
Amorette Bertilson
Frequent Scribbler

« Reply #170 on: November 07, 2010, 10:37:46 AM »

Thanks, Fiddlin Girl! (Sorry I didn't post earlier, I just don't think I should spam the thread with all of my thanking posts.)

You can go back here to see what I just made today, the kind of more teen-like style. Very full of tiny ends of braids.

Do you all think it really does look like a teen style? I didn't get it way down on my neck because I wasn't sure how to make it stay, and with all those tiny braids it doesn't look its best- I may try making it twist-style another time. I was thinking, maybe braid the front sections down and somehow (hem) fasten them, then twist them into a chignon.

Miss Costello
« Reply #171 on: November 24, 2010, 04:21:44 PM »

I love this thread, gorgeous. So impressed...it always irks me in my primary era of Livng history (WW1 and WW2) that people will spend a fortune on clothing and accessories and then spoil it by leaving their hair 'modern'. So it's lovely to see all this hair authenticity.

I have hair down to my shoulder blades, very thick and curly and although it doesn't do 'modern' well I'm lucky that it holds period styles well.

In December, my friend (a hairdresser) is using me as a dummy (I can't use the term 'model'  Cheesy ) for her hair extension comany so I shall have hair an extra 20" long! (which will be odd!) but I'm looking forward to having really long hair again.  I'll post some photos to let you know how it goes. It's the 'micro loop' system so no icky glue, just a crimped bead.

K
Kendle L.
« Reply #172 on: December 09, 2010, 08:30:44 PM »

Hey ladies,

Ya'll have such beautiful long hair! My hair is layered, thick and down just below my shoulders so it's very hard to braid and pin up. Got some of those goody magic hair grip pins and it worked a whole lot better. Wanted to show you guys some pictures of my hair and tell me what you think

Didn't get my hair parted perfectly down the middle but you can't tell...
http://picasaweb.google.com/107953534121923943748/RandomPhotos#5548886397282939186

Two side views:
http://picasaweb.google.com/107953534121923943748/RandomPhotos#5548886400340259570
http://picasaweb.google.com/107953534121923943748/RandomPhotos#5548886405778302706

Parted down the middle, parted behind the ears. Put back part in ponytail, twisted sides around ponytail, (pinned). Split ponytail in two, braided each, wrapped each around each other and pinned. Used some very un-period pomade.
Saw on: http://theladysguide.blogspot.com/2009/06/quick-and-simple-1860s-hairstyle.html

Usually just split my ponytail in two, braid it and wrap around each other into a bun with plastic clips.
Brooke Whitaker
Scribblor Infinitus

♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦Me♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦

« Reply #173 on: December 09, 2010, 09:32:21 PM »

Very nice, Kendle, you have lovely hair. Smiley

-Brooke-

Paula
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #174 on: December 10, 2010, 08:36:25 AM »

Kendle -- Looks great !  My only suggestion is that if you are truly going for an 1850's style (as per your caption)  you add more width at your ears
Kendle L.
« Reply #175 on: December 10, 2010, 01:43:51 PM »

Kendle -- Looks great !  My only suggestion is that if you are truly going for an 1850's style (as per your caption)  you add more width at your ears

Yes, your right. I tried letting the rolls down a bit but since my bangs are so short they popped out even with pins & a glob of pomade. I am thinking about starting rats though so that would help with width at the ears. It's more mid-50's I reenact...1855. 
BarbaraSmith
Scribblor Infinitus

I'm clueless, but competitive! ~ Trish Roseburg

« Reply #176 on: December 10, 2010, 02:21:25 PM »

Hi Kendle!

What you need to do is release those side pieces from the back bun. You'll need to devise a manner to secure the ends further forward on your head, which will allow them to droop more, and give you the side weight you need.

When I had long-ish hair, it was normally fairly layered, and I found that the best way to secure the side bits was to style them FIRST, before making the back bun. I would bring the ends up and secure them with a comb, then carefully pull the back hair OVER the combs (if it was necessary), and back into a bun. Sometimes, when my hair was especially layered, I cheated and used modern barrettes. Which I definitely covered with either hair or a headdress of some sort.  Wink

You'll also want to lower your bun onto your neck more. I know it's difficult to do this.  Wink I have had mixed success with it over the past 15 years. Pomade and hairspray will help. I've also used various kinds of modern bun maker gadgets and foundations over the years, again, with varying success.

One of the EASIEST ways to achieve 50's hair is to devote the majority of your own hair to the sides, and use a false hairpiece for your back bun. Just reserve enough back hair to cover the side end parts, and to create a place to attach the bun.

This is the major difference between a 50's look, and a typical Civil War reenactor hairstyle. You want to release that tight pulled back look from your face, and create more width (aka) weight) at the cheekbone level.

It's a far harder hairtsyle to achieve than the tightly pulled back look, which is why so many reenactors opt for the tight look, such as you see here:
http://theladysguide.blogspot.com/2009/06/quick-and-simple-1860s-hairstyle.html

It's such a shame, because that young lady has plenty of hair to create side weight with.

However, I do understand that the "tight" look feels more secure to people who don't wear their hair up regularly.  Wink I've been there and done that!  Cheesy More pomade, hairspray, etc.  will help. Cheesy

Keep at it. You're very nearly there!
B.

Auntie B says: "I may look like Aunt Pitty-Pat, but I have the soul of Belle Watling," and "Since I can't be a good example, then I'm just gonna have to be a horrible warning."
Joanna Jones
« Reply #177 on: December 12, 2010, 05:20:17 PM »

Thought I would share my hair adventures from this weekend (21 inches of blizzard!)

Bought myself some Kanekelon synthetic hair from a wig supply store in Minneapolis. Total cost $6  (yes, six dollars!) I bought 2 bunches to blend.  One bunch was really frizzy, the other wasn't.  There were 48" long each.

At home I spread one out on the ironing board:

This one is the frizzy one. I highly suggest you straighten any frizzy one you are working with first, as it was a beast!  To straighten, put your iron on synthetic (I actually moved it up a bit to silk) and put the iron down on the hair, and keep it there for about 5 slooow seconds, then lift.  Move, and repeat.  The iron only gets the hairs on top, so if the hair isn't spread out really thin, you will need to press, and rearrange, and press, and rearrange.  It will take 20 min or so.  It will never be completely straight, but it will be better. 

Then, because I had to blend, I took the other package and spread it out on top of the first, getting it as thin as possible.  I would welcome any suggestions on how to blend, because I found that the two colors never mixed really well - I have small streaks of both colors, instead of a nice even blend.

Once I had them more or less blended, I gathered them in the middle with a rubber band:

You can see the blending issues  Undecided

To tie with the rubber band - I took a small one and cut it, then wrapped it around the hair, then tied with a square knot. Holds it better than anything else I tried.

Now you must comb.  And comb.  And comb.  Take the hair and fold it at the rubber band.  If you comb only one side at a time you will pull hair from one side to the other; you must comb both at once.  There will be a huge number of knots and snarls.  Use a large tooth comb!!  Start at the bottom, and work up slowly.  I have a wig de-tangler spray that helped a lot.  You will pull out what seems like a huge amount of hair on the comb - don't sweat it; use it for rats.

Once it is fairly smooth (it will not be perfect), take the rubber band end and tie it in a knot:

Someone told me how to start a chignon like this once and it works like a charm!  Keep twisting the hair around and around, and wrap it as you go.  Use bobby pins to hold it together.  I found some extra short ones at Target the other day that work really well!  Don't worry about short hairs poking out.  cover the whole thing with a net, and the hairs that poke out will be gone!  Wrap the net around to the back, and tie or fasten off.  You can put a second net on if you need to.

I was surprised how nice it turned out! I can turn it on its side to have a hairpiece that is wider, which seems more 1860s, than if it were tall.

I meant to try it out tonight but life got in the way.  I'll let you know.

Joanna
BarbaraSmith
Scribblor Infinitus

I'm clueless, but competitive! ~ Trish Roseburg

« Reply #178 on: December 12, 2010, 06:00:01 PM »

Oh Joanna, how MARVELOUS!! Thank you for sharing this!!!

And, as for blending perfectly, sometimes real hair just GROWS that way. You should see the back of Heidi's hair. It bleaches out in the most interesting fashion. By the time she puts it up, she has great blonde patches in her chignon.  Cheesy

I say it looks GREAT and you are a wonder!!!!

Thank you!
B.

Auntie B says: "I may look like Aunt Pitty-Pat, but I have the soul of Belle Watling," and "Since I can't be a good example, then I'm just gonna have to be a horrible warning."
Brooke Whitaker
Scribblor Infinitus

♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦Me♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦

« Reply #179 on: December 12, 2010, 08:02:48 PM »

Joanna, that's one lovely hairpeice. Smiley I'm jealous. Cheesy You did a lovely job and thanks so much for sharing. Cheesy

-Brooke-

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: